(VistA) Laboratory module is a clinically oriented system designed to provide data to health care personnel. It assists the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service in managing and automating the workload and reporting process. The Laboratory module supports the following areas: General Laboratory, Microbiology, Histology, Cytology, Surgical Pathology, Electron Microscopy, Blood Donors, and Blood Bank.
- Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS).
- Supports ward order entry.
- Prints collection lists and labels and supports barcode printing.
- Provides maximum ordering frequency (e.g., daily, user-defined limits).
- Supports immediate request for blood specimen collection.
- Laboratory Electronic Data Interchange (LEDI).
- Provides work lists by urgency and accession number (instrument-specific)..
- Produces lists of incomplete, workload/data capture reports, and lists for verification of data.
- Supports uni-directional and bi-directional Auto Instrument interfacing.
- Supports automatic download to automated instruments.
- Verification/Release of Data
- Provides Delta Checks, flagging high/low/critical results.
- Presents critical values to the technologist in reverse video.
- Supports review/verification by group or individual accessions.
- Provides various on-screen alerts.
- Automated electronic result message generation via LEDI.
- Produces supervisory management, audit trail, data integrity, quality management and utilization review reports.
- Provides searches for specific antibiotic with defined antimicrobial patterns.
- Produces discharge summaries and cumulative and discrete episode reports.
- Produces automatic transmission of verified data to the ordering location.
- Provides quality control/search capabilities (e.g., SNOMED, critical values, and high/low values).
- Produces reports for Laboratory Management Information Program.
- Produces and transmits roll-up reports to national database.
- Produces site-customized management reports.
- Schedules patient cumulative reports based on inpatient or outpatient treatment.
- Data Extracts Capabilities for External Databases:
- Laboratory Management Index Program workload data.
- Laboratory Workload for Decision Support System.
- Hepatitis C clinical information.
- Emerging Pathogen clinical data, antimicrobial trend, infection control, and Health Department reports.
- Patient Care Encounter workload.
- LEDI messages to remote Laboratory Information Systems (LIS).